Facing a planning issue in your neighborhood? We’ve compiled a list of resources to help you research solutions and allies. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Give us a call at (406) 756-8993.
• Columbia Falls
Flathead County Government
• Flathead County Government – Main Page
• Commissioner’s Agenda (Updated daily)
• County Maps – (Subdivision Plats, Sewer Districts. etc.)
• Planning & Zoning Office – Regulations for Zoning, Subdivisions, etc
Land Use Planning & Smart Growth
• Roots of Sprawl (2.4 mb pdf.)
• Roots of Sprawl II: Sharing the Tax Burden (537 KB pdf)
• Montana Smart Growth Coalition – An organization whose mission is to support safe and healthy communities, sustainable economies, conservation of farm, forest, and ranch lands, and protection of natural resources and wildlife habitat. For more info, call CBF at 756-8993.
• Smart Growth America – Lots of information on national Smart Growth issues.
• Sustainable Communities Network
• Smart Growth Online
• Local Government Commission
• EPA Smart Growth
• American Planning Association
• CBF Comments on Flathead Subdivision Regulations 2007
Water & Air Quality
• Flathead Lakers – People working together for clean water, healthy ecosystems and lasting quality of life in the Flathead Watershed.
• Flathead Basin Commission – Created to monitor and protect water quality in one of the state’s most important watersheds.
• Septic System Impact on Surface Waters – Review for the inland Northwest by the Tri-State Water Quality Council, 2005
• Water for Flathead’s Future – Advocating for sustainable use of our surface and underground water resources to assure that the needs of the people, fish, and wildlife of the Flathead Valley of Montana can be met now and for generations to come.
• Montana Transportation Choices – A transportation study for western Montana.
• Flathead County Transportation Plan (Note: This is a large file and may take a while to download, so be patient!)
• Kalispell Area Transportation Plan (updated 2006)
• Whitefish Transportation Plan (updated 2009)
• Kalispell Bypass – US 93
• Montana Department of Transportation
Planning Effects on Community Life and Local Economy
• CBF Research Supporting and Defining Smart Growth Development
• Flathead County Growth Policy Chapter 1: The Character of Flathead County
• “Putting Smart Growth to Work in Rural Communities” by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA)
• “Planning Principles and Practices” by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute
• “Evaluating Transportation Land Use Impacts” by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute
• “Critique of the National Association of Home Builders’ Research On Land Use Emission Reduction Impacts” by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute
Please be patient, some of these plans are large pdf files that could take a while to pull up.
Ashley Lake Neighborhood Plan
Ashley Lake Map
Big Mountain Neighborhood Plan
Big Mountain West Neighborhood Plan
Bigfork Area Land Use Plan
Bigfork Neighborhood Plan
Canyon Area Land Use Regulatory System (CALURS)
The Canyon Plan
Cooper Farms Neighborhood Plan
Helena Flats Neighborhood Plan
LaBrant-Lindsey Lane Neighborhood Plan
Lakeside Neighborhood Plan
Little Bitterroot Lake Neighborhood Plan
North Fork Neighborhood Plan
Quarter Circle LA Ranch Neighborhood Plan
Riverdale Neighborhood Plan
Rogers Lake Neighborhood Plan
South Whitefish Neighborhood Plan
South Woodland/Greenacres Neighborhood Plan
Two Rivers Neighborhood Plan
West Valley Neighborhood Plan
Whitefish School Trust Lands Neighborhood Plan